Sunday, May 25, 2008

show and tell

Yahoo! Show and Tell! I forgot all about it last week, even though I really wanted to join in all the fun. Check out more fun rarities and B-sides by other fabulous bloggers here.


Given the recent spate of amazing garden photos (I'm looking jealously in your directions, Luna and Kate), I thought I'd post some of my own for S&T this week. If only so you'll have the before photos when, in a few months, you can no longer see the dirt and I am no longer buying vegetables. Also because signs abound in the garden. And I'm a little bit into signs at the moment. Signs, omens, portents - I'm all over that shit.


These radishes were planted about a week ago, and look how well they're doing! Some other seeds were planted about a week ago, but we're not sure how they're doing yet. Radishes also give me heartburn, which I hear is a common symptom during pregnancy. Coincidence?


Ok, I'll shut up now.



I plant my radishes with carrots, because the radishes mark the rows and mature within a few weeks, and then I can pick them and give them away to the old people in my life who really love radishes (why is that?) and then the carrots have room to grow. Plus it's fun to have some instant radish gratification.




These strawberries were given to me by our late, across-the-alley neighbour, Lou the Rototiller Man. Lou was a crusty old dude who had a soft spot for me and Manny, cause I talked gardens with him, and Manny bought a couple lawn mowers off him and admired his legendary junk collection. When Lou died a couple years ago, his landlord came and emptied out the house and shed, and for weeks, there were about 8 rototillers, 6 lawnmowers, 12 old cabinet-style TVs, and various other weird stuff Lou had picked up at garage sales. He had a huge garden on the empty lot next to his house, and a good half of it was taken up with strawberry plants. I hope Lou is in Heaven right now, free of the horrible throat cancer that killed him, watching the serious dump of rain we're getting this weekend, and feeling happy, watching the plants that he nurtured blossom again. We miss you, Lou.

Here are some of my anemones.
I love these plants because, oddly, they have thrived in my sun- and wind-blasted garden, although I think they are meant to be shade-loving forest-floor plants. I got them from a good friend a couple years ago, and have already divided them once and put little clumps elsewhere in the yard. Soon, the delicate white blossoms will open up, and then they will release little bits of fluff and spread their seeds all around. Any plant that produces fluff is alright with me.




Finally, here is my lavender that managed to survive the winter in spite of the fact that I moved it in the middle of the summer last year and then proceeded to not mulch it in the fall. Lavender isn't terribly hardy here, so when I saw new leaves at the bottom of the dead branches, I smiled for days. Right now, this lavender is my emblem of hope, growing and thriving in spite of some serious past neglect.



Thus concludes my first installment of Show and Tell. I'm glad I waited until today to post - I was going to do it last night, but all I could think of was pictures of my dog sleeping. Cute, but not much to tell about. Although the grade 2 authenticity factor would have been really, really high.

**Sorry about the stupid formatting of this post. Blogger is giving me grief and screwing everything up.**

13 comments:

Pamela T. said...

Lou is definitely looking down and smiling big time! Appreciated the garden visit...made me appreciate the rose bushes I recently fertilized after some long neglect. They're not photo worthy yet, but definitely happier than they've been!

Io said...

The anemones are freaky cool looking!
I am feeling so guilty about my complete garden neglect. Especially reading everyone else's blogs and seeing their pictures. I have not planted anything and it is getting late. And now I totally want to plant radishes - I didn't know they were so quick to harvest. Hm. I don't think I like radishes though...
It is such a wonderful feeling to see everything growing and coming back to life.

VA Blondie said...

Great garden pictures! I do not have a green thumb, and I am insanely jealous of people who can grow beautiful gardens.

Maybe someday I will have the time and the patience to learn.

Tara said...

You didn't mention the omen that the anemones look identical to... SPERM!!!

Do they not? I can't be the only one who noticed???

So there's a good sign for ya.

Emily said...

Oooh. Love your garden. I love woodland garden plants. I have a large area under towering cedars... full shade. I've recently added lots of organic material to the soil & planted those types of plants, fern, bleeding hearts, sweet woodruff, jack frost, and lots of hosta. I agree, plants that make fluff are great :)

Tara is right, the anemones do look like sperm! That was really a good omen! I hope the garden continues to bring you signs.... mostly I hope your 'longer than 2 week wait' speeds by with a happy ending.

Ms Heathen said...

Thank you for sharing! Your garden looks lovely.

Deathstar said...

I wish I could grow things - but we won't even go there. I've been living in apartments for years, so all I have are balcony planters. I'm looking forward to planting some pretty flowers at some point.

Shinejil said...

Good news on the lavender! I'm always thrilled when they don't kick the bucket. We've already got strawberries here, but you don't seem far behind. I love eating them right off the plant, when they're warm from the sun... Sigh.

Antigone said...

I would like my salad now please.

Amanda said...

I so suck at keeping plants alive. I try, I really do, but my best efforts seem to go unrewarded. Oh well :) Good luck with your green thumb!

PS - yes, I have to agree, the anemone look like big sperm, that sounds like an even better sign than the radishes!

kate said...

Ooh. I meant to plant carrots, but never got around to it.

My husband frickin' LOVES radishes, which is the only reason I planted them. I can't wait for them to mature, so I can pull them out and put something else in... carrots, maybe?

And I wish I had a crusty old neighbor to give me plants! I mean, I have crusty old neighbors, one of whom gardens a lot, but she's only given us veggies, not plants. She has an entire half acre completely planted with tomatoes and corn and squash and all kinds of other stuff. I mean, she's got it spread out everywhere. I'm totally envious!\

And lavender can be a shocker like that. I think as long as it's happily established before the frost, it can sustain some very cold temps. It is so very nice to see things coming back after winter, though.

Anyway, you are very lucky, because while mine has come in early, by mid-summer, it will be crispy, while yours will just be beginning to peak in it's lush-ness. Sigh. That's okay. You live vicariously through me for now, and later this summer, I'll live vicariously through you, okay?

Thanks for the garden tour. I look forward to watching it progress through the season.

Io said...

OMG! They are! Big sperm!

JJ said...

Your garden looks great! You are inspiring me to take pictures of mine--not doing as well as yours though. My lavender is looking like it might not make it--its pretty wimpy.
Haha, they totally do look like sperm!
Hope you are doing ok with the wait--who am I kidding--I know I wouldnt be doing ok with the WAIT. Hoping, hoping, hoping!