Tuesday, March 11, 2008

mean girl

Thanks, everybody, for your so-very-kind comments on my last post. I feel all snuggly.

I've been thinking about the times I'm mean, and how it makes me feel like a total shit, even if nobody notices I am being mean.

I should preface this story by saying that all my friends are moms. Pretty much everybody I call a friend has children, and most of them are little kids and babies. I have a few acquaintances and old friends that are childless, but among my true friends that I see regularly, they all have little kids. So if I want to have friends, I need to be immersed in that world. For a long time that was totally fine with me - I'm comfortable around kids and I genuinely like them, and I grew up around lots of kids in an environment of breastfeeding/natural birth/attachment parenting, so I'm pretty knowledgeable and understanding about parenting stuff. A number of my friends have come to me with questions - I'm glad to help, I guess, but the irony is definitely getting a bit much,

But lately it's been getting harder to be around moms and kids - not always, but sometimes. I never know when my fragility is going to come to the surface. Last week a friend, T, asked me to come to a small gathering of women (all moms) who were nominating another friend, L, for a community award. I had seen my counsellor that day, and that always brings things to the surface, and by the time evening came, I was not really feeling like being around a bunch of moms. Just not up for sitting there, smiling blankly while they talked about how hard it is to be a mother. But I had committed to going, and I did want to do what I could to support L's nomination, cause she rocks super hard and totally deserves some glory for it.


So what do I do? I figured that if I was going to have to be around a bunch of people who all have what I want and don't have, I was going to flaunt what I have and they don't. So I made my hair look good, and put on makeup, and wore funky clothes that showed off my fairly thin self. And I went into it with the attitude of, "If I have to be jealous tonight, then so do you."


Naturally, a lot of the conversation went just as I thought it would. And I don't mean to suggest at all that what they were saying was in any way contrived or untrue. I know that moms need to share their experiences with people who understand, just like I need to talk to other infertiles. It's just really hard to hear right now.

But things started taking a turn for the "I-am-a-total-shit" when T, who was talking about how hard it is for her to accept her aging, post-2-kids body, said that her daughter often talks about me, saying that I'm pretty and I have makeup (I think it is the latter that excites her the most.) T said that it hurts that her daughter doesn't see her the same way. And of course I start to feel bad, realizing that my getting sort of dressed up had exactly the effect I wanted, only it wasn't the effect I really wanted. You know?


And later I found out that one of the other women there, someone I didn't know before, has been trying to get pregnant with her second child for 2 years, and is really struggling with it. And then I really felt like a shit, because even though she's one of them, she's also one of us. And without knowing it, because she's one of them, I wanted to make her feel bad.

I guess I need to learn how to balance my own need to protect my little old heart with some compassion for what other people are going through. It sucks to be primarily infertile. But it also sucks to be dealing with secondary infertility, or to be trying to be a single parent and entrepreneur and still have a life to call your own, or to be grieving the loss of your youthful body and all the things that go with that.

I really hate that IF has made me pretty myopic when it comes to other people's pain. In some ways, I feel like I have ignored my own suffering over our infertility for a long time and so now that I have a community of people who share and understand my experience, I am free to recognize that suffering and accept it, which has been so amazingly good for me. But I also need to remember that I'm not the only one in the world who hurts, and to make sure my armour doesn't wind up taking someone else's eye out.

10 comments:

Denise said...

So, so true.

kate said...

I don't think that you celebrating what you have is any different than your mommy friends celebrating what they have. In the same way that you would NEVER truly and deeply begrudge them their happiness and their dedication to their children, neither should they truly begrudge you your ability to look hot when you want to.

I think I get what you're saying, and I can see why you would feel that way, 'cos causing hurt is never good, but do you think any of your mom friends are at home feeling totally terrible for having a child because you can't?

I don't know. I think I'm just trying to offer a slightly different perspective on the scenario, but feel free to dismiss this as complete BS, if that's how it strikes you...

annacyclopedia said...

Good point, Kate, and as I was reading it I was wondering if I was, yet again, being too hard on myself. And your comment raises a whole nother question around how being immersed in something so profoundly emotional might make us (at least me) hypersensitive to feelings, both our own and those of others.

I guess for me it's not so much what I did, but more the intention behind it. Because I wasn't trying to look hot to celebrate my hotness - I actually did want them to feel bad. I wouldn't feel bad if I hadn't gone into the evening hoping for that.

the Babychaser: said...

Didn't strike me as particularly mean either. Remember, they can't see the inside of your head, so your intentions don't matter in the long run.

I have a lot of trouble with secondary-infertile women. Not with the fact that they exist, or that they feel pain. But I just can't relate, and I've stopped trying to. I just don't read their blogs (at least not if there's ANYTHING in there about their kid) and don't think about their problems. And I've stopped beating myself up over that.

It is good, however, to recognize when your POV becomes so narrow you can't see other people's problems. My husband's brother accidentally knocked up his wife when J and I were first trying. We're still trying--their daughter is two. So we've been bitter and resentful, naturally.

But we just learned that our niece is having developmental problems. Maybe autism. I kind of felt that like a blow to the gut. Really takes the wind out of resentment when you realize that life can kick anyone's ass, not just yours.

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Wow - I don't really know what to say. I think a lot of us are probably guilty of those things (I know I am) - what an interesting perspective on it though.

Duffy said...

Thanks for having the courage to write this. I am sure all of us have been guilty of this (and much worse) - it is good to know I am not alone in my "meanness". You should see some of the tantrums and hear some of the choice descriptive words I have used when receiving yet another baby announcement...

I don't think any of us feel really good about acting out in these ways. It sucks to feel this way!

It is so hard to find that balance you are seeking - where you can acknowledge and even indulge your own feelings of jealousy, rage, and pain (without beating yourself up for it) and remembering that others suffering (while differing from your own) still matters and is worthy of compassion.

If you find the secret to this, please let us know. In fact, publish it - you'll be an instant millionaire!!!

Happy said...

I did the same exact thing when I went to my cousins baby shower. It's what I always do at family gatherings w/family members who have babies. I put on my most stylish clothing, low waisted jeans of course, and make sure I look pretty. I feel like it's all I have right now so I'm going to flaunt it. Is there a little part of me that thinks I'm being a vain bee-ach, yes, but I'll take any armor I can.

Shinejil said...

I think that what you did is perfectly acceptable, and wasn't in any way hurtful, even if there was a part of you that wanted to rub some mommies' faces in your freedom and attractiveness.

You have enough on your plate without accepting the burdens of others, like your friend T who has her own anxieties about her womanhood and was sharing that with you, perhaps in (subconscious?) hopes that you'd protect her from those feelings. Or the other gal who's struggling with her 2nd, whose feelings remain a mystery.

Here's my goofy mantra for myself: Revel in what you have, accept the ugly yet perfectly understandable feelings, don't sweat others' issues unless they take the time to have a heart-to-heart with you.

Io said...

"I really hate that IF has made me pretty myopic when it comes to other people's pain."
Eh, I doubt you're being that selfish - I mean, would any of them trade their children in order to look better? Somehow I doubt it. Women who talk about how they are unhappy with something about their appearance probably just fixated on another aspect of their appearance before kids.
When I was super skinny, I found things to complain about. I still find things to complain about and I'm *sure* that after having children I will be not thrilled to deal with stretch marks and saggy boobies. (I know a lot of women do the thing where they are more happy with their bodies afterwards because they've seen how powerful they are and all the rest of that granola empowerment blahblah, but I'm pretty sure it sucks to have saggy boobs.)
You probably are BETTER about recognizing their pain, it's just that you have your own pain too - how many of them recognize that?

I don't think this comment made much sense as I am starving lunatic after reading Kate's post. Must go eat lunch.

Pamela T. said...

Great post -- and thanks for your comments on my blog today. Means a lot to know that I'm not alone in trying to sort out the unexpected and confusing feelings associated with primary infertility. Your post reminded me that there are aspects of my life that my friends with children envy. My only ground rule is that we have a mutual understanding of each other's wants and needs ...

I will also admit that I have also done this: I made my hair look good, and put on makeup, and wore funky clothes that showed off my fairly thin self. And I went into it with the attitude of, "If I have to be jealous tonight, then so do you." It's good to have the armor ready when necessary.