Wednesday, March 5, 2008

vegan and wheat-free delight!

I'm posting this for you, Io, since you asked about how I cope without eggs. Well, I have been taught the mysterious ways of the miracle egg replacer - ground flax seed. I get my flax seed whole and grind it myself in a coffee grinder dedicated to flax alone. I grind it quite fine, until it's basically a powder. You can usually buy it already ground in the health food store, but remember that once ground, flax oil tends to spoil fairly quickly, so store in the freezer once you open the package.


Here's a recipe for pancakes that uses neither wheat, nor dairy, nor eggs.

(Adapted from "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" - a La Leche League cookbook - yes, I was raised by a lactivist and quite a bit of the brainwashing stuck)


2 cups "milk" - soy, rice, almond, etc
6 Tbsp ground flax seed
12 Tbsp water
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour - any combination of: kamut, spelt, brown rice, rye, soy, oat, buckwheat (I usually do about half gluten flours and half gluten free) - you can also add rolled oats or other grain flakes, bran, wheat germ, cornmeal, or other flour or grain of your choice.
1/4 cup maple syrup, molasses, or brown sugar (can also use honey if you're not really vegan, as I am not)
1/4 cup oil or other fat


In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seed and water. Set aside and wait for it to get thick and gooey.


In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining wet ingredients, including the flax seed mixture, which should be a bit thick.


Add the wets to the drys, and mix just until large lumps disappear.


Cook as you would normal pancakes, over medium high heat in a greased skillet. Flip them when small bubbles appear, and remove when they stop steaming. Proceed to gorge yourself on these high fiber and protein-rich nuggets of goodness.


And just cause I am so crazy about cooking, here's another one. A little less granola this time.


Hal's Maple Chocolate Flax Brownies (from the fabulous Sarah Kramer's La Dolce Vegan)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup "milk"
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour - if you're me, you can use kamut or spelt, or whatever
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped - of course, you can use other nuts (or not, if you don't love them)

1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8x8 inch pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, ground flax seeds, maple syrup, oil, "milk," and vanilla. Let stand for 10 minutes, while you mix together the remaining ingredients, except chocolate chips. Combine wets and drys, and stir until just mixed. Pour into baking pan, sprinkle chocolate chips on top, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into squares.

Ahh, chocolate.

2 comments:

Io said...

So does this flax thing work in general for recipes instead of eggs?? Like if I made cookies? I am so ignorant and could probably just google this. But I didn't think of that until I started typing my comment.
I feel like a fertile person reading an infertility blog - this whole food thing is so foreign to me. However...
I am going to make you some delicious cookies. I must experiment and eat lots of cookies first to make sure you only get the *best* non-dairy, non-egg, not-nut, gluten free chocolate death cookies.

kate said...

Dude. I am so all up on the flax seeds. I do eat eggs, and I had heard that you could substitute flax, but had never tried it. I lived in a vegan co-op for a year and earned part of my keep as the Tuesday night cook, and another part as a 'guff' cook (cooking random whatever out of leftovers or surplus for anyone to eat), so I generally just used the Ener-G egg substitute. It's impeccable when it comes to egg-like functionality, but it can be kind of expensive.

I will have to try flax seeds now that you have made another oh-so-glowing recommendation. Yay!

And, if you send me your diet specifics, I, too, will make you some AWESOME baked good type things. One of my housemates and dear friends at the vegan co-op was not only vegan, but soy-, nut-, and gluten- allergic as well, so I baked for her all the time and learned SO MUCH from that experience. And another of my dear friends at a later, non-vegan co-op was totally gluten-free and dairy-free, too, and I cooked/baked for her all the time as well.

It's been a long time since I flexed those muscles. You'll have to give me the excuse to jump back in with it!